Re: Re: BMW sport package/new 323 & 328

Randy (AKA cookies) wrote:

>> Has anyone seen an E46 323i with the Sport Package in California? How

>> about the "M aerodynamic package" (on a 323i or 328i)?  If anyone has

>> seen either, I'd like to drive one before I order one for a Euro
>> delivery.
>
> Yup, talk about HARD, HARD, HARD. And if you don't EXACTLY fit in the
seats
> (see: over 180 lbs), I would go with the stock seats & the "928"
Premium
> Package. So much for the Sport Package, I passed on it. Anyway, in the
323 I
> get the 8-way power seats (including power recliner) and the 323 Sport
gets 8
> way MANUAL adjustable seats. This sucks. I like the 928 Premium
Packages
> "3position seat memory" that memorizes 3 different drivers power
seating
> postition, as well as the A/C preset you set. I have mine coded so
that when I
> use the keyfob to unlock, it AUOMATICALLY puts the electric seat and
A/C
> memory "into action".
>
> Another hint: GET BLACK INTERIOR & MYRTLE WOOD. The other interiors
are
> "3-tone" . Example: Tan interior: gray headliner & A/B/C pillars/ tan
lower
> color scheme/black upper color scheme. Looks totally mickey-mouse. The
black
> (especially with leather option) looks fantastic, with light grey
A/B/C
> pillars & headliners, EVERYTHING ELSE is BLACK. The myrtle wood
finishes
> everything off ala' 5 & 7 series, the standard painted alluminum strip
gives
> off too many hellacioius refections in the sun - NOT condusive to
performance
> driving or good looks.
>
> I am told by the dealer who drove a 323 & 328 with sport suspension
package
> that it is a stiff & hard as a rock. Hey, it's only a 3100 lb car,
which by
> it's weight architecture, will ride stiffer than a 5 or 7. Why
excabberate the
> negatives of ride quality unless the thing will LIVE on the track?
Kidney
> belts here we come with the Sport package :-))) LOL

Not a flame, but you can see from my post I was asking about the
existence of a particular model, although I do appreciate any and all
input. Everyone's tastes are different, that's why people test drive
cars, even if they've read the reviews or received other's
comments/opinions. I've driven a couple non-Sport E46's and they left me
numb. After driving the E46 back to back with a 318ti Sport, IMO the
318ti was _way_ more fun.

"Only 3100 lbs?" My mildly tweaked E30 weighs at least 300 lbs less, and
my kidneys would never describe it as "stiff & hard as a rock."  My
kideys also enjoyed the 318ti Sport at about the same weight. Drivers of
5's and 7's may disagree with this, it all depends on where you're
coming from.

If I worked at a dealer with a ton of Premium-equipped models and no
Sport Packages in stock (not even in production until October) I'd talk
down the Sports Pkg too. My dealer has four E46's in stock. Every
stinking one has the Premium Pack. AFAIK my dealer hasn't sold any E46's
yet. Is everyone else in my area waiting for the Sport package? Maybe
they're buying Hondas and Toyotas for $10K less. As far as the interior,
I agree with you 99%, so we do share some tastes.

Again, thanks for the input, now bring on the Sport Package, BMWNA. BTW,
I've heard the M Aero Pacakge has been cancelled, anyone else hear the
same? The E46 on pg 28 of the Nov 98 Roundel looks suspiciously like the
picture of the M Aero Pkg my dealer showed me a while back.

Evan