RE: electric supercharger....

Message text written by Reynaldo Tong
>Mark K:

Hello there, loved the post on the BMW Digest about the electric
supercharger. I seem to understand here and there, and some parts I
understand (very common).

If possible would you e-mail me the advantages and possibly list me what =
do to gain that extra 4-8 HP. I have a 93 325i (2.5L) and I wouldn't know=

more less how much will I gain.<

Reynaldo,

Everyone is adding something on their cars every day for questionalbe
gains. Ive done it , and Im sure everyone on this list has done it.  =

However, many of the dollars spent give little or questionable gains , su=
ch
as:

1.   air filter ,   1 or 2 hp ,  60 bucks
2.  wires      usually nothing   100 to 200 bucks
3.  headers     usually 10 and 20 hp  500 to 700 bucks , plus install
4.   chip    questionable  (meaning some gains but some losses) HP.   5 t=
15 hp,  300 bucks or more
5.   lower weight battery,  60 bucks
6.  filter charger going engine compartment changed from stock air box ..=
  =

2 or 4 hp,  sometimes less.    250 bucks  =

7.  cat back exhaust systems  10 hp  2-600 bucks

8  Finally the Electric Ram Air System  (ERAM)    4 -9 hp,  300 bucks.

So, what is the Electric ram air.  it is an electric fan, runs off your
battery , controlled by your throttle position.  (on only under WOT)
and draws 30 amps , while producing 500 cfm free air, 250 cfm under .35 p=
si
giving a dyno proven 3-4% hp gain. over the entire torque curve.   (Its a=

poor man supercharger, at .5 boost  and only 5 or 6 hp for a 325  type
engine, as opposed to 7 psi and 150 hp and over 4000 bucks in modificatio=
ns
to fuel and electronic engine management.)

I have it on my track /street car.  It looks cool, and is very dependable=
=2E =

  later , Ill make a lower cost version, but right now it is the highest
quality.

mark