Test drove a 99 323i today as a replacement for my 95 740i

A very friendly gentleman on the digest recommended that I test drive the
99 323i as a replacement for my 95 740i (both worth about the same amount -
the 323i is about $2000 more) to avoid all the expensive repairs that are
starting to occur at 63,000 miles (out of warranty). He owns a 98 740i and
a 99 323i and was RAVING about how amazing this 323i was. My driving
impressions of the new 323i?  I was surprised how unsupportive the seats
felt and the beige interior color in the car looked hideous to me as it
continued it's color scheme all the way to the front windshield, (in
between the black dash and the windshield is this vinyl strip of
beige...yuck!).  What were the designer's thinking?  I saw the car with an
all black interior and it was much more attractive. The back seat seemed
really small - still, and I guess the car just plain felt cheap (actually
it is reasonably priced!) and the thought of going from the 740i to the
323i all the sudden seemed absurd.  I now have a MUCH greater appreciation
for my used 740i, despite all the future potential maintenance worries.
When I drove off in the 740i I noticed how much thicker and more heavily
padded the steering wheel was as well as the incredibly comfortable seats
(I at one time thought these to be so unsupportive but have gotten used to
them).  I feel lucky to have this car and would have to say that 7's are
pretty sweet machines!   The 323i obviously felt tighter on the entrance
and exit ramps of 495, and handled better, but not NEAR enough to sacrifice
the awesome luxury feel and space of the 740i.  On the open road (the
beltway), the 740i was so much more comfortable hands down over the smaller
car.  Thank god these cars depreciated so much over the last 3 years so a
regular shmoe like myself could afford to own such an awesome luxobarge!
I hope no one takes any offense to the above ramblings...I really wanted to
fall in love with the new 323i and have no more maintenance concerns for
years to come.
Steve Robinson
95 740i Aspen Silver/Grey 63K miles (I'm no longer shopping for a
replacement!...for now)
88 911 Slate Blue/Blue 56K miles