Re: Test drove a 99 323i today as a replacement for my 95 740i

>Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 00:06:32 -0600
>From: "Stephen Robinson" <stever@domain.elided>
>Subject: Test drove a 99 323i today as a replacement for my 95 740i
>
>A very friendly gentleman on the digest recommended that I test drive the
>99 323i as a replacement for my 95 740i (both worth about the same amount -
>the 323i is about $2000 more) to avoid all the expensive repairs that are
>starting to occur at 63,000 miles (out of warranty). He owns a 98 740i and
>a 99 323i and was RAVING about how amazing this 323i was. My driving
>impressions of the new 323i?  I was surprised how unsupportive the seats
>felt and the beige interior color in the car looked hideous to me as it
>continued it's color scheme all the way to the front windshield, (in
>between the black dash and the windshield is this vinyl strip of
>beige...yuck!).  What were the designer's thinking?  I saw the car with an
>all black interior and it was much more attractive. The back seat seemed
>really small - still, and I guess the car just plain felt cheap (actually
>it is reasonably priced!) and the thought of going from the 740i to the
>323i all the sudden seemed absurd.  I now have a MUCH greater appreciation
>for my used 740i, despite all the future potential maintenance worries.
>When I drove off in the 740i I noticed how much thicker and more heavily
>padded the steering wheel was as well as the incredibly comfortable seats
>(I at one time thought these to be so unsupportive but have gotten used to
>them).  I feel lucky to have this car and would have to say that 7's are
>pretty sweet machines!   The 323i obviously felt tighter on the entrance
>and exit ramps of 495, and handled better, but not NEAR enough to sacrifice
>the awesome luxury feel and space of the 740i.  On the open road (the
>beltway), the 740i was so much more comfortable hands down over the smaller
>car.  Thank god these cars depreciated so much over the last 3 years so a
>regular shmoe like myself could afford to own such an awesome luxobarge!
>I hope no one takes any offense to the above ramblings...I really wanted to
>fall in love with the new 323i and have no more maintenance concerns for
>years to come.
>Steve Robinson
>95 740i Aspen Silver/Grey 63K miles (I'm no longer shopping for a
>replacement!...for now)
>88 911 Slate Blue/Blue 56K miles
>
>------------------------------

Steve, I think you're making the right choice keeping the 740. While I
haven't had any experience with the E46 323i, I have a '92 E36 325i and my
dad a '90 E32 750iL. Yes, I know new you could buy 2 1/2 loaded E36's new
for the price of a 750, but there is no contest between these cars. The 7
series is better in almost every catagory. It's a bigger, heavier car so
handling and acceleration are not quite the same, but considering the size
of the 7 it does extremely well. Service really isn't that much more on the
750 than it is on my 325i. In the 750's case, there is twice as much engine
and twice the cost to fix, no surprise there. Lots more electrical gadgets
too. Ours has 56,000 miles on it and has been very reliable. (then again so
has my E36 which has 122,000 on it now) The E36 is a great car....especially
for the money, don't get me wrong... but it is a toy compared to the big 7.
If I buy another BMW next time around for myself (which would be used as I'm
a college student), I would look for an older 735i or 740i (no 750 for me
cause of the extra insurance/service/fuel) before I would get another 3er.
That's just me. (and just going on 20 most people my age would rather have a
3er) I realize everyone is different. My 325i is a bit more fun to drive,
but I spend 90% of my time driving in the city and the seats are like bricks
and the interior is far too plasticky for a car in this price range. Best of
all 7's are a great value on the used market. Most people on this board
would think I am crazy.... but then again most of them have never seriously
looked at a 7 series either, let alone rode in/driven one. Best of luck and
enjoy your car!

Regards,

John

1990 750iL 56k