<E36> Universal Transmitter

Ed asked:

>>I was wondering if anyone has installed the BMW E39 Universal garage door transmitter in an E36. I know someone installed it in an E46, but I figured in shouldn't be too much different since I would use the existing sunroof motor cover in my installation.<<

I do not think a retrofit will work. I compared the sunroof mechanism
cover from an E46 and an E36 this week at a local dealership.  The
clearance for the universal transmitter between the cover and the
sunroof motor is extremely limited.  Close inspection of the E46 cover
piece reveals an indentation in the center to give the universal
transmitter the necessary clearance.  There is no such indentation on
the E36 cover.  The E46 cover and the E36 cover are not interchangeable
as they are different widths at the rear portion of the cover.

I asked the parts guy if BMW planned to do with the universal
transmitter what they did with the GPS navigation unit and retrofit it
to earlier models.  He didn't know (big surprise!).  Good luck.

Craig Eller
BMW CCA Everglades Chapter
E36 ///M3
RM3DR1