re: E28 535 questions and WTB

Steve Poland responds to: What are the differences between the i and is?
>GENERICALLY, THE DIFFERENCES THE "is" HAS:
>
>A. STIFFER RIDE DUE TO LARGER SWAYBARS, STIFFER SLIGHTLY SHORTER
>SPRINGS, AND I BELIEVE MORE CONTROL IN THE SHOCKS.  IT HAS BEEN
>DESCRIBED AS EQUIVALENT TO THE M5 SUSPENSION, ALTHOUGH THE
>SWAY/SPRING/SHOCK COMBO IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

535is has M-tech Bilstein shocks, specially valved with wierd bumpstop and
two-way damping to allow a softer ride.  Hard to put in, never replaced
with same ($$$$.) Pete Reed knows all this stuff.  M5 has self-leveling
rear.

>B. SPORT SEAT PURPORTEDLY MFD. BY RECARO IS VERY SUPPORTIVE, WITH HIGH
>SIDE BOLSTERS.

Seats are not made by Recaro (pet peave of mine, sorry).  They are BMW
sport seats and the frames are quite prone to cracking, esp. with heavy
users.  Same basic seat on M5, 635Csi, E30 325is and 325/318iC

>D. BODY COLOR ELECTRIC REARVIEW MIRRORS.

Only on 1988 models.

- -Phil