Re: <e28>Audio and Price Questions **Rob

Eben Shantz ( c747837@domain.elided ) wrote:

>Subject: <e28>Audio and Price Questions

>1.  If anyone out there could tell me if it would be "better" to put
>    another 3.50 differential or get a 4.11 for Acceleration?

        Standard diff issues apply here;  you'll get better acceleration
with the lower (numerically higher) diff but you'll be buzzing along at high
rpm on the highway.  The 528e is a reliable car but asking a relatively lazy
motor (it's not designed to rev high) to sustain high rpm is asking for
trouble.

>2.  Stereo needs serious upgrade...I have an older 30x4 Watt Alpine Tape
>    deck with CD control....would it easily fit, and would I have problems
>    with finding the right wires on the back of the OEM unit?

        There's no wiring harness adapter for these cars... the outputs from
the factory head unit are only + wires that go to the factory amp in the
trunk.  The amp supplies proper grounds for all the speakers.  Best
recommendation is to wire it all fresh.  For a high-powered head unit like
yours, run the power from the cigarette lighter instead so you don't have
the radio cut out when you have the brake lights on (same circuit).

>3.  The steering whell is WAYYYYY to big....relative owns an "Auto
>    recycling center".....so could a directly take a 3-spoke like the
>    535i's and replace the 18 or inch monster on there now?

        The 528e has a 15" wheel.  The 14" wheel from a 535i/is fits
perfectly but if you are tall you will not see the very tops of the guages
and the OBC.  I decided to go "extreme" with a 13" wheel so I see the
important part of the guages *over* the wheel.

>4.  I had a Porche 944S before this car...and I'm sure that it won't
>    handle half a well.  I wish to at least do some minor mods....perhaps
>    M5 sway bars or so....anything else?

        Every M5/535is suspension part fits the 528e.  If you drive , then
there are some things you should do, some things you could do, and some
things you might eventually do:

SHOULD:
1) get a lower chassis brace from a 535i, should be cheap and bolts right
on.
2) get bigger wheels/tires... sell your 14"ers for $200 and buy 15"ers (E34,
alloy or steel) for around $450.  225/60-15 is a good size and not too
expensive.

COULD:
1) Bilstein Sports, H&R springs
2) Heavier 535is/M5 sway bars
3) The "RL/BB" conversion - E32 7-series brakes (calipers and rotors) are a
direct bolt-on (requires 15" wheels), 302mmx28mm big brakes that are
amazing.  Contact Jason at Zionsville, www.zionsvilleautosport.com for used
calipers and Steve D'Gerolamo, www.ultimategarage.com for new Balo rotors.

EVENTUALLY:
Anything suspension piece or bushing that breaks can be replaced with the M5
or E32 part for only slightly more (upper/lower control arms, bushings,
center link, subframe bushings, etc.)

>5.  Any tune-up ideas for that old of a car with somewhat low milage?

    There's not much you could do to pull more power out of a 528e engine
(an expensive "super eta" conversion should be avoided - trade for a 535i
instead!).  Standard tune-up stuff will wake up a neglected motor, anything
else is really a waste of time, effort, money.

>6.  What tires provides (in you opinion) the best traction in wet/dry/snow
>    conditions?

        BFG Comp T/A R1 (just kidding!).  There's lots of good stuff out
there in an all-season tire.  I won't recommend one all-season tire over
another (but I do have strong opinions on performance tires).  All I can
tell you is that the '86 535i I recently bought came with a set of new
Bridgestone SF-402 (195/70-14) that seem to handle decently in the dry and
pretty well in the rain.  No snow yet.

>7.  Alreay have a Dino Shift knob....but not sure if it'll fit...does it?

        BMW shift levers have a specific top so that a unique kind of knob
sung-fits onto it.  Most other cars use a screw-on type that will not fit a
BMW lever.  Aftermarket knobs are generally either made for BMW (and
snug-fit), screw on (and won't fit), or use a set-screw (works fine).

>Some of these questions may seem insane but I haven't even seen the car
>since I sent it to the body shop...sorry about my inadequate knowledge of
>BMW's, but I can tell you right now that nothing feels more solid than a
>GERMAN AUTO!!!

        You got it!  They really are "rolling bank vaults" (although
sometimes they leak money...).

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo
'86 535i