Re: <e28>Audio and Price Questions **Rob

Rob Levinson wrote:

> Eben Shantz ( c747837@domain.elided ) wrote:

> >1.  If anyone out there could tell me if it would be "better" to put
> >    another 3.50 differential or get a 4.11 for Acceleration?
>
>         Standard diff issues apply here;  you'll get better acceleration
> with the lower (numerically higher) diff but you'll be buzzing along at high
> rpm on the highway.  The 528e is a reliable car but asking a relatively lazy
> motor (it's not designed to rev high) to sustain high rpm is asking for
> trouble.

You'll get better acceleration when you are in the same gear.  But you'll get
worse acceleration when you are in the next higher gear (since you'll have to
upshift sooner).  The net result on acceleration is actually nil -- there is
no real gain.  One may have better 0-40 numbers; but the other may be better
0-50.  It all depends on where the shift points move to.

So, don't change your diff for better acceleration.  Change it because you
want to move your shift points.

Brian