Re: E28 bearing replacement

At 11:11 AM 11/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I would appreciate any advise on this as I will undertake replacement in
>the next week or so.  Bentley is not very helpful in it's
>instructions.   I am pretty handy (have replaced brakes, struts, control
>arms, etc.) but never replaced wheel bearings.  I am especially
>interested in getting advise on how to remove and replace the hub from
>the axle without the BMW tool.    I can rent a standard wheel bearing
>puller from the rent-all place, will this work?  Thanks in advance.

Chris,

Just did this.  The total time was about 30 minutes (I could do it faster
next time.)

What you'll need:

Jack
Regular hand tools
BIG SOCKET.  46mm or the SAE equivalent (I think 1 13/16")  This is
probably a 3/4" drive.
6" puller (I bought one at Sear's.  About $40.  I've seen them cheaper
almost everywhere)

Bearing/hub unit.  I got mine from Michel
You can re-use the locking nut but many advise against.  They only cost a
couple of bucks.

What you do:

Loosen wheel bolts.
Jack up car and remove wheel
Pry off dust cap
Take crimp out of lock nut
Break nut.  I used another jack against the breaker bar jacking against the
weight of the car.  Came off easily.  Took about 5 minutes.
Take off the caliper.  Hang somewhere so youdon't put stress on the hose.
Remove the rotor.  One hex bolt.
Use the puller to remove the bearing unit.
Position the new bearing unit and using a big socket and hammer SMACK that
puppy back into place.  Took a few good hits with each hit pushing the unit
further on.
Put on a new lock nut
Put on the dust cap
Put on the rotor
Put on the caliper
Put on the wheel and lug bolts
Lower car and tighten lug bolts
Have a beer
Brag how good you are to your friends (i.e. 'I saved $971.59 today by doing
it myself)

That's it.  Have fun.  If I've omitted anything someone is sure to point
out my many flaws...and maybe even correct my instructions :^).

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii