Re: Rotor cap and plug wires

rob_alarcon@domain.elided wrote:

> I'm going to perform a little tune up on my 215,000 mile 325e.  I've read that
> the rotor and plug wires should be changed every so often ... and since I'm
> running on the originals I thought that it might be time.

If you're on original cap and rotor... it's waaaaaaay past time ;)

> I've got a question regarding the rotor.  I see that there is a rotor and a
> distributor cap, and two different versions of each of those for my car (bolt on
> and slide on).

Not for YOUR car... the early big 6 motors used the slide on type.  The M20 motor
has always used the bolt on type ignition rotor in US cars.

> Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly should be changed and why ?  Do I
> want to change both of these items ?

At 215k with all original parts, you better do it all!!  Cap, rotor, plugs, air
filter, fuel filter, belts, fluids, timing belt, etc., etc., etc.... Any one of
these things that hasn't been done in the last 30k should be done now.

> Any easy way to tell if I need the bolt on or slide on type without getting in
> there ?

I think we just cleared that one up ;)  Good luck.

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com