Rotor cap and plug wires

I'm going to perform a little tune up on my 215,000 mile 325e.  I've read that
the rotor and plug wires should be changed every so often ... and since I'm
running on the originals I thought that it might be time.

I've got a question regarding the rotor.  I see that there is a rotor and a
distributor cap, and two different versions of each of those for my car (bolt on
and slide on).

Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly should be changed and why ?  Do I
want to change both of these items ?

Any easy way to tell if I need the bolt on or slide on type without getting in
there ?

TIA
Robb Alarcon
BMW CCA 124504