Re: Flying Wheel Mystery

>I had someone trustable
>enough change the wheel and then have the original
>put back on when it was fixed so that it wouldn't run
>on the spare. This was on the rear left tire. He did
>say that he tightened all the lug nuts all round
> The wrecker guy is shocked,
>he says if it wasn't a freak accident then it had to be
>sabotage. Two lug nuts are broken while two didn't
>leave a trace that they ever existed. Further examination
>reveals that the two missing lug nuts were next to
>each other and not opposite same case for the remaining
>two lug nuts.

Mike,

<...burp....> ya know, this is a constant problem when doing maintenance
with a 'frigerator of Rolling Rock in the garage on a track weekend. Ya
start a little drinking, a little Dorito eatin', drop the car off the lift
and do the test ride - here a little faint 'clicking' from da wheels and
HOLY TORQUE WRENCH BATMAN - we fergot to tighten the damn
lugs!!!.............Arrrrghhhhhhhhh!  Happens all the time.....together with
forgeting to pump the brake pedal after pad swaps (that's thrilling
excitement in itself backing outta the garage down the inclined driveway
with the wife's Land Crusier parked at the foot of the driveway and you're
pumping furiously at the pedal saying OH GAWD!!..does it take 4 or 5 pumps
before they catch?).

You weren't sabotaged...you were dorked.

Guy forgot to tighten 'em up plain and simple.  When this happens (ask me
how I know), one or two of the lugs will back out and fall away...they be
down the road a coupla miles before your wheel did the launch thang...and
THEN the remaining lugs/studs cannot tolerate the weight/force and simply
shear off.  Exit wheel from car.

So you gotta beef with the guy you paid to change the flat....and he knows
it if he's in the trade.  Guaranteed.  If he's a buddy or casual
acquaintance and did it for you as a favor, then you simply got what you
paid for.

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba