Re:95 3 series seat problem

Dana wrote:
> 	Well, my little ('95) 325is is now 700 miles out of its warranty,
> and of course the seat breaks two days ago. Uncanny timing, if nothing else.
> Its the two door model, so the seats have the lever on the side which you
> pull up to fold the seat forward so others can get in the back seat -- I'm
> sure most of you would know what I'm talking about. Well, whatever that
> lever is attached to (a spring, I assume?) is no longer in its proper place.
> The lever moves around freely, with no resistance, and the seat doesn't do
> its fold-forward thing.

Randy responded:
>~~~  I would recommend that you visit your dealer, let them verify it, have
>them contact the BMW area Zone Manager, and set up an appointment. Meet with
>him and see if he will "goodwill" repair it since it just went out of
>warranty. Logic dictates that the problem was developing while under warranty,
>so perhaps should be fixed. They have the ability to decide to authorize these
>things.

Or you could look under the seat and reattach the cable that has come udone
and not be labeled a "warranty whiner".  My experience is that this
requires no disassembly of the seat and takes a couple of minutes.  Use the
other seat as a reference.  If you are not mechanically inclined, go to
your dealer and ask for their advice as to what needs to be done.  If they
tell you that they fixed it for no charge while you were having an oil
service done, you'll be very happy.  If they tell you you need a new seat
and it will cost $800, call the 800 number.

Sheesh.

- -Phil Marx