RE: E30 Rear Side Windows

> Being at least the 3rd owner of my 1990 E30, I can't explain
> exactly why the right rear side window appears to be clear
> while the others all have the green tint.  I could probably
> just go to the local BMW salvage yard and get a green tinted
> window.

	Probably not. I believe rear side windows are not stock on E30's. It
may be easier to find a replacement clear window or tint the one you have.

> However, one thing I miss from my 1987 E30
> is the opening rear side windows.  Some time between 1987 and 1990,
> BMW cheapened the cars a bit, and the opening rear side windows
> went away.

	The exact model year is 1990.
	On the 'flip' side your year was first to get body color painted
side mirrors, driver side airbag and a ton more sound proofing on the driver
side dash. This at the expense of the rear side window latches and ellipsoid
low beams (anything else?). Ellipsoids are a loss, but the rear latches IMHO
are mostly a nuisance since they tend to rattle and are marginally useless
and very noisy when opened.

> So my questions are:
>
> Do any of you know if I can easily retrofit the earlier rear side windows
> into my 1990 car?

	Probably, but you would need to swap the whole rear side glass
assembly for one with a tilting frame + a latch + drill the holes in the
glass to attach the latch.
	If you are devoted to replacing that thing, I would research if you
could install convertible-style electric window instead.

> Is this a simple DIY installation, or does it involve
> welding or something?  Under my interior side panel, will I find some
> place to screw in the latch for the rear of the window?

there is only one way to find out for sure... ;-)

alex
'89 & '90 325i/is