<MISC> re:difference in oil filters??

paul asks
>i'm planning on changing my oil this weekend and was wondering if all the
>oil filters are made of the same quality, would a oil filter bought at say..
>napa, be as good of the quality as one bought at the dealer?? if it isn't,
>where could i get a oil filter that is dealer quality or better at a non
>dealer price??

there is a HUGE difference in oil filter quality between brands

yes, there are some good aftermarket ones, but lots of BAD ones

BMW filters are really good

even from the dealer they don't cost much ($15?)
lots of aftermarket mail order places (see ads in Roundel or European Car..
places like Bavarian Autosport, BMPdesign, etc) sell BMW filters
for cheaper than the dealer

chris pawlowicz - tooo lazy to change my oil anymore.. especially now that
'89 325i        - it's dropped below freezing outside.. sigh.
'74 2002        - My mechanic *does* use BMW stuff though