	Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 09:00:14 -0600
	From: "Andrew D.Mendez" <AMENDEZ@domain.elided>
	Subject: M5 g-loading

	I was one of the doubting Thomases who said the
	new M5 wouldn't pull 1.2g.

	Naturally, I (& I safetly assume the others who
	expressed same opinion) were talking about in
	*stock*, off- the-showroom-floor trim. A '79 Pacer
	could pull 1.2g with the proper modifications. As
	I mentioned in my post, Car & Driver several years
	ago put new anti-roll bars, sticky (but street
	legal) tires, springs & shocks on an 'Vette & got
	1.1g measured with dead-on accurate equipment, no
	problem.

	No one suggested it was against the laws of
	physics for this or any other car to pull 1.2g,
	just that it was very doubtful it would be sold
	(especially in the U.S.) in a form capable of this
	kind of grip. No car maker will ever sell a car
	with OE slick tires due to liability issues, and
	most people who can afford a $65,000 M5 are older
	folk & do not want a suspension that crushes
	vertebrae together over every speed bump,
	expansion strip, & RR track.

	Andy '95 M3