Re: purchase recommendations

In a message dated 11/3/98 9:32:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< currently own a Volvo T5 and am looking to replace it with a BMW.  However,
 I am unsure of a few things and since you guys are obviously quite familiar
 with the brand maybe you can help -

 1.  I entertain at work, so I need a 4 door.  I am looking at a new 328 or a
 540.  Which do you think I will find to be the most sporting?

 2.  Is BMW coming out with a 4 door M3?  If so, should I wait for one or can
 I make the equivalent modifications to the 328

 3.  Do either the 328 or 540 have any problems with rattles.  Please be
 honest on this one.  My Volvo rattles at the slightest expansion joint and
 it drives me crazy!

 Thank you in advance for your help.  My e-mail is jimglazer@domain.elided >>

~~~ Firstly, if price is a consideration, I suggest either a 99' 323i with
Sport Package or 528I with sport package. Each shaves about $5K off it's
larger motored sibling.

~~~ I owned a 1997 new 5 series, and I just bought a 1999 323. There is simply
no comparison between the two. The new 3 series bodyshell is absolutely rigid,
no rattles, no squeaks, NO chassis flex, period. It's like a rock. They use a
steel bar across the dash for rigidity. The brakes are simply the most awesome
I have ever experienced. The 5's brakes seemed like mush in comparison. The
pedal is literally "1/100th. of a inch off the top" Incredible!!

~~~ If one is looking at a 540, then suggest spending $4k more (based on a
substantial discount) on a new 740i instead. Or, going downstream pricewise, a
99' 328. Personally, the new 3 series in 328 guise will make the 5 series
somewhat redundant. Believe it or not, the 3 feels bigger inside than the 5.
The 5 feels "tight" in the drivers cockpit.

~~~ The M series will be an insurance nightmare, IMO. The 328 is PLENTY fast.
Randy
cookies@domain.elided
BMWCC member
98' 740iL