RE: Trick or Treat?

> Hello all,

[test driving a '72 2002]

> Then I reached up to turn on the turn signal, but the brights came on.
> Actually, the brights didn't work, and turning on the brights turned
> off the
> head lights, which was a bit dangerous considering it was pitch black
> outside.
> Not sure why, but the turn signal lever was mounted on the right side,
> which
> made it very difficult to reach when I was trying to change gears.

Um, that's not wrong.  It's not standard, but it's not wrong.
That's where the lever was on earlier 2002s. I drove a '68 2002 for
years.
I had to avoid turning on the wipers on Dad's Bavaria when I borrowed
it.

> I pulled the car under some lights in a shopping mall and continued my
> inspection.  It didn't take long before I found a huge puddle forming
> under
> the car.  I climbed under the car and followed a thin line up to the
> engine
> compartment to the brake reservoir.  The reservoir was nearly empty.
>
> Needless to say, my inspection was cut short.  I rushed back trying to
> use the
> brakes as little as possible, while turning the lights on and off all
> the way
> back to the woman's house.  I squealed to a stop in the backyard,
> threw the
> woman her keys, and said, "no thanks."  I was never happier to be back
> in my
> great little 325iC.
>
> If anyone is interested in a 2002 with leaky brake lines, a shaky
> tranny, and
> turn signal lever mounted on the wrong side, I know where you can get
> one
> cheap.
>
> Michael Mynatt
> 1987 325iC with good brakes, great tranny, and turn signal lever on
> the right
> side.

Well, the brakes worked apparently although they were not going to for
long ...
what a great story!!!  This is the type of project car that many
mechanically-inclined people would happily try out if they could
find them, and the type of project car that non-mechanically-inclined
people use to put their mechanic's children through college.

 - Thi VanAusdal
'72 2002 project car
'87 325is, inadvertant project car
'87 325i, project car
'63 2BR/1BA project house - not a house in the projects!