Re: BMW E30/E36 SCCA GT2 conversion

Fuel injection was voted down AGAIN by SCCA for use in GT classes.
Most feel there is a better restriction through venturi size.

I have kicked enough doors now to fully understand what is necessary to
convert
to SCCA GT2 specs for the '99 season.  It ain't pretty, finding a manifold
to fit the M50,
switch to MSD, possible closed tube rear axle for quick change rear-end
(100lb weight
penalty for using independent rear suspension).
Hell, even PTG won't return emails.

It is however the first time in a decade that a BMW has a real chance to
win
SCCA GT2 in '99.  Why?  I have Jim Leithauser (SCCA national tech) who has
patiently listened to my petition
to allow the 24v six into the E30 chassis (yea, I obviously have a personal
interest).
A few more emails to Jim (his address is on the National staff page) would
be helpful.
SCCA Vote comes 11/11/98.  Seeing how Jim has acknowledged my "beef"
about the 300Z that won the GT2 class at the runoffs with a "inline" six vs
the 24v
V6 and is willing to help in our cause.  Over 300hp has been pulled out of
a full race M50
although admitably that engine was FI not carbed.  Many full race E30s
exist out there
at slightly over 2,200lbs.  The car will be competitive.

With all that said, no one seems to want to help in this effort.
I have not given up, but I'm real discouraged by the lack of support from
the BMW community on what could be
a real chance to have a BMW on the podium in GT2.
Come on folks, if you don't want to help me, lets at least pull together a
team to field an entry.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30......