E28 differential swap

I was wondering about swapability of other ring and pinions into my
differential housing.  I was at my local U-Pull-It today, Anywhere you can buy
a set of 540i calipers for $16 is great, anyway....I was looking at older
cars, Bavs and 530's, i took notice that the Differential housings were
totally different.  Are these ring and pinions diffferent?  Should I stay away
from cars that have the "old" style housing?  I am planning on getting a ring
and pinion set out of either a 528e or an early 733.  These should both be
usable.  Any Ideas or comments??  Thanks

Nathan
85 535i