Re:windshield distortion

In a message dated 10/30/98 5:07:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:40:23 -0500
 From: "LePage, Alex" <LEPAGEAP@domain.elided>
 Subject: Replacement Windshield Troubles...
 I took a rock at about 90 mph some time back--cracked my M3's windshield
 from end to end.
 I had the cracked windshield replaced by the dealer, but the first piece of
 glass they installed had all kinds of very noticeable distortions. So I
 insisted on another...
 In the second windshield the distortions are far less noticeable, but
 they're there and they're annoying.
 Now I'm insisting the dealer install a third windshield. One of the dealer's
 reps attempted to  imply that virtually all windshields will have some
 distortions.  I find this claim hard to believe considering my original
 windshield had no perceptible distortions. Plus, even my Mazda's windshield
 looks absolutely perfect.
 Anyone have any experience with distorted windshields? Am I being
 unreasonable about the distortions or is the dealer rep full it? >>

~~~~ No, you are not being unreasonable. Glass comes in OEM varieties. You can
get original glass (look at the brand embedded on the windshields at BMW
dealers). This is what I do. Then there is the PPG and other "direct"
replacments for OEM. I PASS on these. Then there is the South African made
Safelite and other "insurance company specials" brands. You get my drift.

~~~~ I have the glass dealer =(or BMW dealer) order up the factoy windshield,
and when it comes in, I put it under flourescent light in the showroom and
"tilt" it back and forth, checking for float distortions. If they are there
(in the line of sight area) - i PASS, and have them reorder another one.
ALWAYS inspect your new windshield BEFORE installation. Another tip, always
let make sure the cars sits, undriven, for at least 5 hours after the
windshield is glued/bonded in. This is the #1 reason for leaking windshield
replacements. Shop should be warm inside to facilitate curing, or, immediately
upon installation, car is backed out into sun to cure.\\

Randy
cookies@domain.elided
BMWCC member
lSan Diego Section