LANDSHARK Chip vs. Da Big Names

I agree with Bruce Mitchell, who says

>"Unless you live near Boston or Salt Lake City, just the opposite
>applies.  This is my only beef with the Jim C option.  In the Chicago
>area I can drive to several Dinan dealers and have their software
>installed through the diag port.  To get the Jim C software I'd have to
>take out my DME and send it to SLC."

I'm ~15 miles away from Dinan, so I could get this done probably during my
lunch break.  Even if I choose to pull out my DME and wait for it to hatch
some LANDSHARKS, what will I do when my local dealer inadvertently kills
them all by reprogramming the DME, wait again?

Speaking of being near Dinan, can a LANDSHARK survive/pass a CA smog test?
What are the experiences of E36 '97 M3 owners in CA who've been sharked and
lived to talk about it?

Also, are there any issues with getting the car serviced which has been
sharked?  Several local dealers are Dinan authorized resellers; hopefully
they'll know what to do with a Dinan'ed car, and if not, there's always
Dinan himself nearby.  I just don't know who will know the proper care and
feeding of a LANDSHARK out here.

I'm not siding with one tuner nor the other, just stating that one is
convenient, nearby and is guaranteed to pass CA smog test.

Vadim

'97 M3 (stock, hasn't decided whose brains it likes - Hansbruk or Ab Normal)
'93 M5 (Dinan'ed by previous owner, which is a good thing - it made up its
mind)