Re: driving sim games-Best one?

Ken Kloess <drken@domain.elided> wants to know what's the best driving sim
game.

I was wondering about the exact same thing.  In addition, I'd like to know
which games have which _real_ tracks in them.  Since I'm on the West coast,
I'm especially interested in the games that have my local tracks (Laguna
Seca, Sears Point, etc.).

I have no first hand experience with Sony's Gran Tourismo, but everything
I've read leads me to believe that it's the best one out there.  Here's what
Grassroots Motorsports said (abbreviated a little), " While we hardly ever
write about such trivial pursuits, GT is so head-and-shoulders above any
racing game we've ever experienced, we felt it deserved mention.  How good
is it?  Well, it's encouraged nearly every staff member to drop the $129 for
a PlayStation just to play this game.  Then add another $39 to the bill for
the game itself."  I'm almost ready to buy one myself.  I'll runt to the
store if I hear it has my tracks.

The games I've played and can recommend are Need For Speed and NFS 2, both
for PC.  NFS 2 has some of the most exotic cars, including McLaren F1.
Graphics are superb, the car dynamics are believable, the driving courses
are very good, but completely fictitious.  For the $10 I've seen NFS and NFS
II sell at Price Costco I wouldn't hesitate to get them.  I don't want to
take up any more bandwidth with this, so e-mail me privately if you want
more details on either of these games.

Ken, please post the summary of your findings to the digest.  TIA.

Vadim