Re: <E34> Heater problems

> I have already replaced the complete heater valve assembly and water
> pump,
> and the heat is still coming through! It is starting to really become a
> problem
> for me, 'cause it's summer around here -- warm air is NOT what I need...
>

> > I have another HVAC problem, though. The thumbwheel temp control
> > between the center dash vents no longer controls the mix of heated and
> > cool outside air the way it should. How's yours?
>
> I can turn mine to hot or cold, it doesn't make any difference. Wonder
> how the
> temp control really works. Does it simply complete a circuit to ground
> (i.e. full on or full off), or does it actually vary the amount of air
> coming through
> (i.e. variable potentiomenter thingy)?

On an E30, the temperature control knob actually controls an
air "mixing" flap.  It varies how much outside air/recirculated
air is routed past the air conditioning evaporator versus the
heater core.  If its the same on an E34, then I'd guess that the cable
from the temperature knob to the mixing flap is loose, busted, or
not attached, or that maybe the mixing flap itself is not operating
properly.  It sounds like the air is being routed over the heater
core all the time.

Hope this helps,
Norm

> Hendrik
> '90 M535i 100K miles and goes like a shark...

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***