Re: passing at school

>Ummm... actually, at driver schools, passing should be done on whatever
>side has been designated by that particular club as the passing side for
>that weekend. This may or may not be the side that allows the passee to
>stay on the normal line. Some BMW CCA chapters run their schools with
>passing only on the right; some with passing only on the left -- all with
>passing only after getting a "point by" from the driver being overtaken.
>None of the BMW CCA schools should allow passing on both sides during a
>particular school weekend. The overtaking car has the responsibility to do
>the passing safely; the overtaken car has the responsibility to allow a
>safe pass (i.e. don't do anything unexpected or stupid that will cause an
>incident, at least back off the throttle a little to allow the pass, and
>watch your mirrors).

i thought i should share my experience at a recent
BMWCCA driving school at loudon (NH).

during the last session of the day, i was exhausted so i wasn't
going as fast as i had all day. at one point on the straigtaway
before turn 1, i signalled a couple of cars to pass me. they
passed safely. then i got ready to turn into the banked oval,
lifted, and suddenly VROOOMMMMM.... a 3rd car dived inside
and passed me. my first reaction was: what the @#$% ?!!

i clearly did not signal that car to pass, nor was i exactly
slow turning in. i was surprised that someone would do that.
i guess there's always a yahoo that thinks that he's racing
in the US-500 or something!

so i would never assume that everyone will play by the rule.
watch your mirrors.

- ---
Thai Tjen
thai@domain.elided