<E30> euro headlights

Does anyone know what type of headlights a 1986 325iC would have come with
from the factory if it was originally delivered in Germany?  My car was
originally sold in Germany, and then brought here in 1987 and converted to
US regulations. The shop that wired in the US headlights (among other
things) did a terrible job and I would like to put it back to its original
configuration. Are the connectors different between the US sealed beam
lights and the euro lights? I figured they must be since my connectors are
spliced on to the original wires. Since the euro cars do not have "parking"
lights integrated into the front turn signals as do the US cars, do they use
"city" lights in the outer (hi/low) beam lamp? Are the city lights only
installed for certain european countries?  Are the euro lights H1/H4
technology?  Is there something better I should be looking at?  I read the
article in the October Roundel recommending the Cibie lamps, and I may go
that route if I can't get the OEM lights.  Finally, where can I get the OEM
lights?
thanks,
Frank Ciotti
#149906