<E30> Noisy fuel pump?

I think I finally figured out the source of the constant noise in my '92
325iC. Of course you can not hear it with the top down, and with the top up
it sounds like a wind noise. This weekend I had the rear seat out and heard
the same noise, only louder. Sure sounds like a very noisy fuel pump. And
at only 33Kmiles.
So, is it normal? Is there anything that can be done? How much does a
replacement cost? Is there only one pump in '92 E30 (I think so)?
TIA. Mike.S

'92 E30 325iC, BMWCCA #159367
http://www.gis.net/~mikest