Re: Title cleaning

>some cars are totaled because of air bag deployment and a dented
>fender..no joke....

A friend of mine bought a salvaged Civic that had exactly that happen to it.
The car had suffered front end damage and air bag deployment.  It was the
latter that "totaled" it.  So they rebuilt it.  Apparently the original
engine was trashed, so they dropped a Del Sol engine into it.  I realize
that an accident severe enough to require an engine swap would have really
bent up the front end, but they must've done a good job straightening the
car out.  My friend bought it, and has had no problems at all.

The thing is that you never know if the car's history is something like
this, or if some high rolling drug dealer drove it into the ocean during a
police chase (you wouldn't want to deal with the salt water damage, as
Michel pointed out).  I guess titles were invented in order to track things
like this, but there are always loopholes as we've observed.

    - Justin

End of bmw-digest V9 #399