RE: <E30> clutch problems

Michael Writes:
- ------------------------------
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:38:27 +0000
From: Michael <sasha@domain.elided>
Subject: E30 clutch problems........

I have a new clutch plate, throwout bearing and pressure plate, new
master cylinder, and a 2 yr old slave cylinder. My clutch picks up
within the last inch and a half of the pedal travel I.e., EXTREMELY FAR
OFF THE FLOOR! I have NO idea what to do from here. The kit is a genuine
Sachs and i have also had the whole system bled by the dealer.

Does anyone know what is wrong with this thing?????? I cant stand the
fact that i have spent over $700 and the clutch is this crap.
HELP PLEASE!! the only clue i have is that the line leading to the slave
moves and expands as the pedal is pushed in, could this be a
contributing factor?? Also, the clutch fluid reservior had alot of
sludge in the bottom of it, could this be blocking a line or
something???
Michael St.Clair
1984 318i (2 litre)

I have the exact same problem on my 87 325is.  I did the complete clutch
overhaul at 100k miles (OE Sachs parts etc.), and ever since the sucker catches
way up high and goes from 100% disengaged to 100% engaged in ~3mm of pedal
travel.  The Wife and I have learned "sort of" to deal with it.  When someone
else drives the car, they are in for some serious neck whippin' action.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Ron Milliet
McComb, MS