<ALL> synthetics - AGAIN!

hello everyone,

well, i have been in a quandry about this engine oil thing.  used to be i
never thought about it.  use the recommended weight, usaually a 5W30.  when
i switched to synthetic i used the same weight.  these are all non BMW cars.
i used to switch to 5W30 from 10W40 for our truck for winter use (dealer
recommeded) but i use conventional oil in that.  now i acquire my iX and i
see that the recommended oil is 20W50.  well i want to use synthetic and i
have gotten responses saying that a lower weight is okay with synthetic.  i
visit the redline website and it has its own recommedations.  i have also
read an interesting exerpt from dale beunings FAQs page.  i live in the
detroit area so its not extremely cold although we have cold weather
regularly (cold being near freezing in the day and at or below at night) but
i want to make sure that i don't put in oil that is too thin or too thick.
i do spend time in ski country where it is colder regularly.  i figured that
a 10W30 or even 5W30 synthetic would be fine in the winter and i would
probably use 10W30 or 10W40 in the summer.  this really shouldn't be
bothering me this much but i love this car and i want to make sure that i
keep it running in tiptop shape.  i just called 5 dealers in michigan and
they all gave me a different response (all were for year round use):

1.  5W30
2.  10W40
3.  5W40
4.  10W30
5.  15W40

well that makes me feel better.  does anyone else have anything to say about
this?  thanks for all previous responses to my questions and also for this
anal post.

regards,

jack money (Lear Corp. doesn't know my first name)
'89 iX ---->  wants new juice but can't decide what to drink
motor city chapter

email replies:

jack.money@domain.elided (home)