A group drivers @ BMW driving schools

My proposed Driver School changes...

"How about not allowing Advanced students (A group) to run without a
rollbar, harness, arm restraints, fire extinguisher, helmet, collar, nomex
gloves/shoes, & minimum of 3 instructor in car sessions?"

Keith wrote,

"Therefore to advocate
this extensive list of equipment, which we all recognize is the safest
thing
to do, you need to demonstrate that a need exists and that the intervention
would have some effect on the problem in a reasonably cost-effective
fashion."

As the tragic death of the PCA driver shows, employing all this equipment
doesn't necessarily prevent fatal injuries."

Keith and others,
I have atttended 9-10 schools now + various competitive SCCA events.  In
the driver
schools very few A group "students" know the difference between a driver
school
weekend and a competition weekend.  The good instructors will slow the
students and make
them "learn" from the weekend not just get track time.  Learning can be
doing a
different line, braking at different points, learning various inputs at
high speed
that you don't have time to finesse during competition, etc.  If your just
at a driver
school to run "solo" in A group your WASTING your time and money.  There
are too many
other avenues for that which are safer for everybody concerned.

I proposed the safety items above to limit the participation of weekend
racers
in A group so the school can continue to be "schools" rather than lets
chase each other
around the track with no real safety equipment in the car (not my car, its
got
the minimum rollbar, etc that should be required).

On a side note,
I personally don't like someone in the passenger seat when I'm on the
track.  I don't
want the responsibility for them if someone t-boned us or my brakes failed,
etc.
I greatly respect the instructors for being willing to show us the ropes.
I don't
see how instructors feel comfortable in A group in a car with no safety
equipment.
I wouldn't let my wife do it or especially someone who has voluntered their
time to
help me.

As always, opinions differ...

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30 that nobody seems to want but me; guess its time for GT2.