<E30><M20B25> strange noise - maybe h20 pump?

hello everyone,

i am hearing a strange noise from the engine in my '89iX.  i am not sure
what it is coming from so i thought i would try the wisdom here.  it kinda
sound like a bad bearing (sorta grinding/whining) but i really can't
describe it well.  it occurs whenever the engine is running (well i bet that
narrows it down) and it increases in frequency with engine speed, ie,
sitting in the driveway revving a bit.  it makes this noise when hot or cold
but it is definately louder when hot.  i thought it might be the h20 pump
but really don't know.  i am going to take it to a mechanic and try and get
some advice but thought maybe someone had an idea or a better place to
start.  thanks for all advice and help.  btw, anyone know of a good,
reputable independant mechanic in  the detroit area?

regards,

jack money (Lear Corp. doesn't know my first name)
'89 iX --->  grinding and whining a little, must want the snow
motor city chapter

email replies:

jack.money@domain.elided (home)
jack.money@domain.elided (work)