re: e-36 bird chirping

<<snip
My 93 325is has a couple of problems....
over the railroad tracks or a small bump the car makes "bird churping"
or high squeak noise sound that seems to come from the the rear part of
the car.

Also, from the rear drivers side wheel sometimes I hear a clanking noise
when I accelerate from a stop. >>>
- --------------------------------
Rob:

I believe that the chirping that you hear from the rear are worn shock
mounts. I also heard the chirping and once I replaced the mounts the
noise vanished.  The part is easily replaceable and costs around $60(I
can't remember if that was for one or two).  I've heard that this has
been a come problem with the e36 and if you have an extended warranty it
should be covered.  If not its a quick and easy repair to make.

In regards to your clunking I would suggest that you have someone walk
along side your car as you slowly accelerate.  Hopefully the can help
find some characteristic of the knock that allows its detection.  The
rhythmic sound indicates that something is touch or rubbing a rotating
part.  I would try to identify each rotating part(tire, wheel, etc) and
inspect any parts that contact them.  Although the sound appears to
vanish at higher speeds, I believe that it is just less audible to you
because of a higher frequency, more road noise, and your tuning the
noise out.  Your best bet is to put the car up on a lift and starting
poking around.

My experience is that repair shops are not real diligent in finding
these types of problems (i.e. low $, lots of time and effort)

Nik
94 325is
Former Windy Citier relocated to Boston(Still in search of a garage)