<E30> Strange Heater Problem

I have only had this car for just a month now.  After I first purchased
it I found
that someone had disconnected the heater hoses from the pipes leading to
the valve
and heater core.  On reconnecting the hoses I then found that the valve
did not
work and replaced that.  Because I paper work I could not drive it until
yesterday.
Well actually I did take it out a few times but never used the heater.
Yesterday
my wife and I had to take a short trip into the big city and when I
tried to use
the heater the thing would only blow cold air until we arrived in the
downtown
area of the city.  This was not a short drive since driving at 75mph it
took us
an hour.  When we got close to were we needed to go the heater starts
blowing
hot air.  The same thing happend on the way back cold air for 35 miles
and then
hot air just as we pulled off the interstate.

This sounds dump but would it make a difference if the inlet and outlet
hoses
were connected to the wrong pipes at the fire wall?

I do not have any problems with my 318i but this 325is has me puzzled.

I would like to thank all of you out there who replyed to an earlier
posting
about an oil leak I found with this same car last weekend.

- -Mark P.