CD changer on the fritz

Driving home today, my factory Alpine CD changer wouldn't recognize disc 6.
It's done that before (said there was no disc # when there was a disc in
there), but this time it totally died.  It would not recognize any discs and
then gave the message "Disc Error" on the head unit.  Now there is a disc in
the player itself and the magazine won't eject-it's as though there is no
power to the unit.  I checked the fuse (good) and to be sure tried another
one (also good) and there was no effect.  When I push the eject button just
after inserting a fuse it will light up for a second, but nothing happens
and the button won't light up again until power is disconnected and
reconnected to the changer.  Any ideas?  I have a road trip tomorrow and I'm
going to go by the dealer in the morning, but I'll check my mail before I go
and any advice/ideas are greatly appreciated.  TIA.
- --Lane Flynn
BMW CCA #158896
94 325is listenin' to the radio :-(