RE: Yoko A509 Opinions Needed

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:51:39 CDT
>From: "Leo Dennis" <blueide@domain.elided>
>Subject: Yoko A509 Opinions Needed
>
>Hello:
>
>I am thinking of replacing my worn-out 205/60HR14 Goodyear Eagle HP's
>with Yoko A509's. The price is about the same (from Tire Rack:
>http://www.tirerack.com) and I could get the Yoko 225/60HR14 for $72
>each.

Leo, I have been using 205/60HR14 Yoko A509s on my E30 318i for several
years now, and I'm happy with them.  The car has Bilstein Sport shocks,
Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Suspension Techniques bars and poly bushings,
and it handles well with the A509s.  I'm sure that I could get more
performance with 15" wheels and stickier tires, but it's a daily driver
that does lots of miles.

A509s don't last as long as my old P6s did.  I generally get ~35k miles
on a set, versus 50-60k on the P6s.  95% of my driving is on the
highway.

>Any thoughts about going from the 205's to the 225's? Since the aspect
>ratio is the same, I assume these are "bulkier" tires.

One time, when I got a new set of A509s, I noticed that the car was
making a rubbing sound when I turned in a particular direction.  I
didn't notice anything unusual until severl days later, when I was
washing the car.  The tire shop had put a 225/60HR14 tire on one of the
front wheels, while the other three wheels had 205/60HR14s.

So, my experience is that 225/60HR14 is too large.  I've seen people
with 215/60HR14 Yoko All Season tires (I can't remember which model),
but they didn't have lowered suspensions, either.

- -rb
'85 318i, 243,022 miles, 22k miles on A509s, wear bars getting close
'95 M3, 18,250 miles, :-D