Ring and pinion backlash E28

So......sonner or later I am going to upgrade from my extra long legged 3.25
ratio (85 535i) to a 3.46 (87 up 528e).  And I was wondering...can I use the
528 housing and ring and pinion and just "insert" my LSD unit?  replacing the
bearings of course.  I assume that I would have to set my backlash again? Are
these shims available at bmw dealerships?  Is there any tricks to doing this?
I refuse to pay a dealership for something that I can do myself, stubborn
ain't I?  If anyone has done this before or knows of someone else that has,
please let me know.  I am looking for the gears, and as soon as I find them
for a reasonable price I am buying, and I am going to attempt it myself first.
Oh yeah...another thing..can the LSD unit be shimmed for more breakaway?  25%
just isn't enough for my taste, I want my car to be like "Barque's Rootbeer"TM
you know "The one with bite"< totally tasteless humor, sorry everyone.  wow,
that was really bad.  Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Nathan
85 535i