re: E36 M3 overheating

Steve,

I would suspect the water pump. The early M50 engines had a faulty design
where the water pump's impellor was plastic, while the shaft was steel. Over
time, the plastic fatiqued and cracked, causing the impellor to freely spin
on the shaft. This would in turn cause the car to over heat. The repair is
covered under the 4yr/50K warranty. The new water pump uses a steel
impellor. I don't know when they fixed the problem in production, but my
6/95 build M3 had the plastic impellor (and now the steel one :).

Nick
'95 M3