safety equipment/schools

Grant opined:
============================
Driver School changes...

How about not allowing Advanced students (A group) to run without a
rollbar, harness, arm restraints, fire extinguisher, helmet, collar, nomex
gloves/shoes, & minimum of 3 instructor in car sessions?

Any comments?
============================

Well, yes, I have a comment. . . .;-)

In my business we try not to treat non-problems.   Therefore to advocate
this extensive list of equipment, which we all recognize is the safest thing
to do, you need to demonstrate that a need exists and that the intervention
would have some effect on the problem in a reasonably cost-effective
fashion.

For instance, fire extinguishers:  How many driver's schools students have
been burned *during a school* in a car due to lack of a fire extinguisher?

Same issue for nomex, neck collars, etc.  Are they wise?  Yes.  Has their
non-use lead to problems???

As the tragic death of the PCA driver shows, employing all this equipment
doesn't necessarily prevent fatal injuries.

	Just my opinion, I'm probably wrong. . .

	Keith
	95 M3  <--Rocky Mountain CCA/no serious injuries at a school for a
long long time/great instructors and track stewards