Re: <E34> Brake Linings message

Dwayne,
I had the same message on my 93 BMW 525i for 5 months. I kept manually
checking the breaks for wear. It seems the sensor comes on early enough so
save the rotors., but being that I was changing the rotors anyway I just ran
the brakes down. I bought all after market brakes and rotors. The new after
market brakes don't have the sensor on them so I had to cut the existing
sensors twist the ends together to complete the ground loop and all is fine
now. I saved $300.00. The new rotors have heat grooves in them and all the
parts a German made. I was told by a BMW mechanic that the after market
rotors are much better than OEM and BMW charges a lot for brakes with the
sensors on them. The sensor brakes are located on the front driver side and
the rear passenger side, not all four. I hope this helps, and yes your OBC
will not display normal functions only maintenance warnings until you
replace the brakes.
Mel Jones
93 525ia