<E34> Brake Linings message

The break pads on my 525i finally arrived at the first indicated break
pad service since I have had the car.  My question today has to do with
how that indication was received.  I've been expecting the brake wear
sensor to start getting grounded, causing the diagnostic light to blink
on when I applied the breaks.  However, the "Break Linings" message came
on for the first time and is displayed constantly, prohibiting the
display of any other message or OBC message.  I expected a more subtle
reminder that my pads were getting worn.  Is this normal on the '91
525i?

Thanks,
L. Dwayne Johnson (Ljohnson@domain.elided)
'91 525i