Accident in 540i 6 spd update - Also SF Bay Buyers Beware

Thanks to all of those that responded to my 540i accident post (bmw-digest
V9 #361). The information was very helpful....and I didn't feel so ALONE
with all the other similar stories (life does go on, and repaired cars are
*sometimes* OK).

The shop has estimated repairs at slightly over $10K, though the car has
been repaired before on the right side incorrectly and that will also need
repair out of my pocket (~$2K over what the insurance will cover). Salvage
estimates, so far, are in the neighborhood of $9K (at best), so salvage plus
$10K from insurance leaves me with a $17K loss from purchase price of $36K
on 9/4/98.

The deputy that wrote the report found me MOSTLY at fault (no citation).
This state is a "shared fault" state, and the other driver was "somewhat" at
fault because he couldn't stop. I will probably be found MORE than 50% at
fault for settlement purposes. This really limits my options.

Now for the Buyer Beware segment:

Turns out the independent (non-BMW) dealer I bought this car from was far
from truthful about the condition of the car.

I was really fooled! The quarter panels still had VIN numbers (but not the
right front door, which I missed), and I think this fooled me the most. I
could tell the right front quarter panel had been re-painted, so I inspected
the undercarriage for damage. Looked minor, some suspension parts replaced,
but no major damage. OK I thought, someone slid this car into a curb in the
winter, looks like it was fixed right, just the car I've been looking for,
think I'll go for it. WRONG!

Now that we have the quarter panels and other parts off and I have a
professional pointing out the damage, it's clear that this car has had major
repair work done INCORRECTLY on the right front (too much damage for just a
curb, at least dropped into a ditch)! They pieced in repair parts very
cleverly so as to leave the original fender (with VIN number), which meant
the car couldn't be fixed correctly (What's this mindset about? Guess
they're not CCA members, huh!). The right upper rail and apron will have to
be replaced. The entire car has been re-painted. The front clip has been
re-re-painted, poorly....all this before 29K miles!

I've purchased probably 12-15 BMWs over the last 15 years, many long
distance (2 325iXs from Denver last September...thanks for the help Gordon).
And have never had a problem. I (almost) always have a pre-purchase
inspection done by an independent shop. I had this done in this case, too,
but I was not able to talk to the mechanic directly and saw no
report.....turns out the independent shop was not so independent......a
friend of the dealer (another story entirely). I SHOULD have been more
suspicious, silly me. How blind is love?

Anyway.......if you are considering buying a high ticket BMW in the SF Bay
area, be very careful if you deal with this unnamed independent dealer. I
will not mention the name of the dealer here do to concern for liable, but
if you fall into this category, please contact me directly for more
information. The entire story is VERY sleazy (in retrospect) ....and long.

Thanks again for all the responses. The digest is great!

'95 540i 6 spd (broken)
'91 325ix 5spd (MM stroker)
'90 325ix 5spd (hers)
'96 L5450 Kubota (killer 5 cyl, 60 hp, diesel)

Larry Simmons
lsimmons@domain.elided
www.avantcom.com