E30 1991 318is transmission

Got a problem with my 1991 318is manual transmission.
Over the weekend it popped out of 4th gear several times
right after a shifting to 4th.  It has started to grind gears
when releasing the clutch in 4th.  Originally I suspected
that the synchro was going but as I recall my 73 tii, when
it had bad synchros in 2nd gear it would crunch when
moving the shift lever into second. In this case the
grinding of gears is not hear or felt until the clutch pedal
is released.    I have changed the redline oil and I got to
say that it has a silvery look to it.  The magnetic drain
plug had some iron filings but not an excessive amount.

I rebuilt the transmission in my tii and didn't think it was
and didn't think it was too much of a job.  Anybody got
some experience or advice with these newer units?  This
one looks somewhat more complex.  It is a Getrag 240/5
Another possibility is to just by a used transmission from
a recycling yard, anybody know if any other BMW cars
used this same transmission, from the parts film the 84/85
318i cars used a different transmission housing.  I don't
know what the E36 318s use.

Warren Brown
BMW CCA #1406