Re: A032r-how far is too far on tread life?

I don't have Robbie Kollar's e-mail address any more, and I wasn't even
going to answer his question about running A032Rs that are down to the
wear bars.  But I wasn't thrilled with  Rob Norwalk's answer, so here
are my comments.

Most drivers' schools that I've attended require a tech inspection before
you can drive on the track.  This is usually more than just the quickie
AutoX inspection, generally a shop, qualified mechanic, etc., has to sign
off that the car is track-worthy.  And usually the tech requirements
specify the minimum tread depth that you must have when the school
starts.  In my opinion, any chapter or organization that doesn't have such
a requirement is asking for trouble, it will only be a matter of time until
someone's tire fails and causes an accident, and then the lawyers will
get  involved.  Messy.

When tread depth requirements exist, the answer isn't subjective, you've
either got the tread, or you don't.

For autocrosses, it is another matter entierly.  Usually you wouldn't
suffer much more than a damaged rim if a tire blows during a run,
speeds are lower, there are fewer objects to hit, etc.  Still, I wouldn't
want to run the risk just because I was trying to get one last event out of
a set of marginal tires.

Some of Rob's advice was good, though, like checking the tires after
each run session, and not driving home on bald tires.

Well, that's my opinion, yours may vary, but let's try to be safe out there,
OK?

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977