Dinan Bashing

>As far as Badging, I don't get it either. If I see a no badge 5 series,
>I assume that it's a lower end model. If I see a ///M Badge I look a
>little closer and listen to see what OTHER mods might have been done, If
>I see a Dinan Badge, I might even follow the guy into a parking lot
>cause I'am wondering if he's got a turbo or a supercharger or a stroker,
>etc.
>
>Have I missed somthing here?
>
>Chris Barton (off my soapbox now)

Chris,

Confusion Badging.  That's the hot licks.

Nothing makes me smile a bigger grin than to do smokin' hot laps at Summit
with Vippers and POR-Shays and then have them saunter over afterwards and
while they are eyeing your car suspiciously say:

"Whaddin' the world is a 316 tds?!?"

I truthfully respond, never impling MY car is actually as badged; "It's a
European model that's not exported to the U.S. ... has a 4-cylinder
Turbocharged Diesel." (You can't start laughing at this point or the whole
joke is ruined).

They go: "Did you say DIESEL?"

I respond: "Yup".

Then you usually get "I've never seen a diesel ANYTHING run like that".

I finish 'em up off with: "It's not too shabby...but you should see what
the BMW SIX cylinder diesel does."

Hint: make sure you black tape off the "M3" emblems in the door rub strips
with black signmakers vinyl...

******************

On the other topic, Dinan does some unique products and for that they
should be appaluded.

But they also do some really ridiculous stuff like take off-the-shelf
aftermarket parts, grind off the mfg. logos and paint the damn things blue
- - claiming these are THEIR parts (AutoThority does the same damn thing,
too, and is even a WORSE offender). That's why they get bashed sometimes by
us 'garage' tuners who do our own thang. Why pay twice the going rate for a
set of re-valved Koni shocks that are painted blue?

On the plus side, Dinan does pour GOBS of cash and support back into the
local BMWCCA Chapter, so they're not evil guys.

Just know what you're buying and you'll be money ahead in the long run. If
you're willing to spend the extra dollars there - they'll ba glad to
relieve you of your cash surplus.

Duane Collie
RM3DR1/UUC/Bubba