Auto "Creeping"

What does everyone mean by creeping? When I am at a light my car (auto 88'635,
155K) pulls pretty hard, I really have to keep my foot on the brake or I will
roll into the car infront of me (even uphill) but it does not surge, it is
pretty constant.. is this a sign? Any experience on what happens when it goes?
I have heard conflicting openions some tell me that I have to replace the
whole thing w/ estimates from 1-4G's & then I have heard others say it can be
re-built.. I can live with $1,000, but $4,000 almost makes me want to sell
it.. Any insight would be apprecieated..