Re: 320iS Advice

>I found an 83' 320iS for sale.  It's in OK condition - Runs rather well,
>gears are some what sloppy, the interior is in great shape other than the
>seats being worn out, approx. 160xxx miles, towers are rust free - yes
>really!, trunk is almost rust free with some minor rust on the seams behind
>the wheel wells, front end has had some apparent body work and some other
>minor body work on the passenger side.  The asking price is $3,500 which is
>way too much (I think) for that car.  I'd give $1000 for it (if he would
>come down that far).  I know what my wife would say, but I ask - am I crazy
>or should I make an offer?

You're right, $3500 is way too much.  I just picked up an '83 320i for
$1000, which was a good deal - the body's in a similar condition to this one
(minor body rust, towers are fune), 205k miles.  My shifter is also sloppy -
it wiggles from side to side A LOT, even when you're in gear.  Sound like
the same as the one you looked at?  But back to price...  If you can get him
down to somewhere between $1500 and $2000, I'd say you've got a decent deal
there.  Unfortunately, that means talking him down to half his asking price!

    - Justin