<E28> Headlights won't light

I took the car for a brief drive tonight and all seemed fine.  When I went
inside somewhere for a few minutes, I forgot to turn off the headlights, but
the turn off "feature" extinguished them for me even though it left the tail
lights lit.  I noticed I'd done this when I got back to the car.  No problem
I thought.  Wrong.  Upon cranking the car, the headlights refused to turn
on.  Turning the car off and then back on and doing the same with the
headlight switch produced nothing.  Any thoughts?  My first thought is the
relay that switches off the lights when the ignition is turned off may have
gotten stuck.  I'll be consulting the ETM in a few minutes...

Regards,

Scott Buchanan
Charlotte, NC
'87 535is