Helmet saftey...the MA vs SA thing, and a true story

True story.....
    I have been autocrossing for fourteen years, and doing driving schools for
seven, and last year saw the first convertible rollover at an autocross..Have
seen a few GTi's go over....MG Midget rolled this time. With shall we say a
LOW rollbar..... The car slid over 160 feet(messured) on the roll bar upside
down!! (remember LOW rollbar)  Guy's head hit the ground and it also slid 160
feet. Needless to say he was fine. But the moral of the story is he was
wearing a Snell 85 MA helmet and the only thing wrong with it was the rather
deep scrape and few abrasion marks. The inside of the helmet was in perfect
shape.
   So I too have a problem with the mandated SA helmet use. From what I
witnessed an MA helmet is pretty damn tuff. Consider that most of the cars we
go on track with have complete interiors this helps absorb impact much better
than the track directly on the helmet......

GGray