Re: E-28 Automatic transmission ?

> I am looking at a 1988 535i with 150k on the original automatic transmission.
> I have read that these transmissions are on there death beds by around 125k.
> Question, What should I be looking for when I go for a drive? Feel, sounds,
> etc.

Watch for crawling forward in drive or slipping in gear.
Slipping can be caused by a very dirty filter (hope that's
what is wrong with mine - I'll find out very soon).

In mid-87 (?) the ZF 4 HP 22 tranny had a pressure relief
hole added to the A-clutch. This eliminates some of the
problems with this tranny.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!